Below you will find an overview of 4-star hotels in the historical part of Istanbul. By clicking on a hotel name, you can obtain detailed information about the hotel, provided by Booking.com or the hotel’s own website.
The overview by no means lists all four star hotels in this area. The hotel list is based on personal experiences cross-checked with customer reviews provided by Booking.com. Most of the hotels have either been visited by me or by one or more of my acquaintances. They appear in alphabetical order.
- Best Western Premier Regency Suites & Spa – This 5-storey hotel located in the heart of Sultanahmet and offering only 16 rooms, is in my opinion the best hotel of the Best Western chain in this area. It has a contemporary style and provides spacious accommodation, spa and health facilities. Their terrace and some of the rooms have scenic views over the Bosporus and Blue Mosque.
- Best Western The President – This seven storey modern hotel (204 rooms) is located a bit further away from the heart of old Istanbul, but still within walking distance and in the proximity of the tramway. The hotel is known for its pleasant atmosphere and authentic English pub.
- Boutique Apex – If you want to avoid the bigger (chain) hotels and receive a more personal treatment, this recently (2008) opened hotel with only 12 rooms will certainly suit your needs. The hotel’s superb location is of course also a big advantage.
- Faros Istanbul – A brand new (spring 2006) modern boutique hotel with 23 rooms and nice views. The area has a traditional atmosphere including open markets and bazaars. As with most hotels, ask for a room away from the noisy street side.
- Garden House Istanbul – Housed in a 19th century Ottoman mansion with a wooden exterior, the friendly Garden House hotel offers 20 rather spacious and clean rooms, 9 of which with a modern design. It is located in Sultanahmet, within walking distance of all the main attractions in the historical part of Istanbul.
- Nena – This five stories high, red-faced boutique hotel offers 29 rooms and is located only 100 meters away from the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Basilica Cistern and the Hippodrome. Needless to say their terrace restaurant offers both excellent food and views.
- Orient Express – Named after the nostalgic train Orient Express, its 54 small but cozy rooms are all decorated in an authentic way. The hotel features a panoramic terrace restaurant, an indoor swimming pool and train wagon bar. Ask for rooms in the back, since the street tends to be noisy.
- Ottoman Imperial – This clean great little hotel with its pleasant staff and 54 rooms sits on a truly premium location in town, on an elevated position, surrounded by all the major landmarks of the Sultanahmet and Topkapi districts.
- Sapphire – This new comfortable hotel with 60 rooms is located close to the Gülhane Park. Although it is not far away from all major landmarks in the old part of town, be prepared to walk a bit upwards when heading for those sightseeing spots.
- Zeynep Sultan Boutique – Zeynep Sultan is a small (24 rooms), friendly and immaculately clean boutique style hotel located right in the heart of the city, proof of which is the small street with its cobblestones.
Note to accommodation owners: If you want to be added to the listings on Istanbul Trails, please contact us via the Contact or Advertise page. Keep in mind though that hotels will never be listed without personally having visited your accommodation, enabling me to write a truthful review.